The origins of Melin Pant-yr-Ynn are unknown, but it is the earliest surviving slate mill in Blaenau Ffestiniog, preserved as it was when it closed in 1964, and is Listed Grade II. The overhead shafting is static, but the 24 foot waterwheel is working again.
The Mill is now the home and gallery of the owner, the artist Falcon D Hildred.
We are open to visitors as a tourist attraction by arrangement at any time during the months May to October. Please phone. The entry fee is £3.
Parking is available and the Mill is all on one level
The Mill lies about 200 yards east of the A470 on an unclassified road near Bethania, on the outskirts of Blaenau Ffestiniog. There is a useful location map on The Mill page of Falcon D Hildred's website - see below.
Vistors can view our exhibition of watercolour drawings recording the historic Town, quarries and dramatic landscape of Blaenau Ffestiniog.
There is a live coal fire, as well as relics, a waterfall, and a fine view to be seen.
The postal address of the mill is:
Melin Pant-yr-Ynn, Bethania, Blaenau Ffestiniog, Gwynedd, LL41 3LZ, UK
Phone: 01766 830 540 International: (+44) 1766 830 540
The Ordnance Survey Grid Reference for Melin Pant-yr-Ynn is SH 709 454
The Mill is featured on owner Falcon D Hildred's web pages - www.falconhildred.co.uk
For further information about the area see www.visitwales.co.uk .